Friday 31 August 2007

Adventures in New Media




The empty display case that perplexed and haunted me for a while was finally finished following ideas to investigate new media. I changed the idea from a video piece within the object to a sound piece within the box. This seems to have effectively pushed the references back to the object without creating another representation of it, and emphasizing its banal presence as a disfunctional display case. When we met and talked to Roger Ackling, he said to be radical. For me, I guess that has happened, at least to some extent, though I followed ideas and solutions to problems rather than seek to produce work that specifically meet what I thought radical meant.
Visitors went up close, as they had to, to hear the spoken loop to find it refering back to the undisplayed presentation. I found it difficult at first to work with an object that did not inherently provoke a response for me. I think that through the encouragement from the others to persevere on this one, I may work again in the future in a similar way, and definately expore new media more.

No comments: